Beginning August 1, Washington County Library will be extending checkout periods for most items to 3 weeks and
We’re excited to implement these changes as part of our efforts to increase convenience and reduce barriers for our
library users. They also bring our checkout and renewal policies more in line with other MELSA libraries.
What are the basics of this change?
• Loan periods of physical books, magazines, audiobooks, and CDs have been changed from 2 to 3 weeks.
(DVDs and video games will remain at 1 week.)
• Items will be automatically renewed by Symphony unless there is a hold on the item.
There will be no changes to the loan periods or renewal options for the following items:
• Interlibrary loans
• Law Library items
• eBook, eAudio, and eMagazine items
What happens to patrons with materials due soon?
All items due August 1 and later that can be renewed will automatically be renewed. Items that have holds or have
already been renewed the maximum number of times will not be renewed. Patrons will get an email notice of the
renewal and new due dates.
How will email notices work?
• Four days before materials are due, patrons will get an email listing checkouts that have been auto-renewed.
This is a new notice to go with the changes.
• Three days before materials are due, patrons will get a courtesy notice about items that could not be
renewed and need to be returned soon. This is a revision of our current courtesy notice.
What is happening with DVDs and video games?
All DVDs and video games can be checked out for one week, and can be renewed up to three times if there is no
Can patrons renew their own materials?
Yes! They can still login to “My Account” and renew materials themselves if they would like to do so or by using the
Going forward, items are renewed from the current due date rather than from the date the items are renewed. For
example: my item is due on August 9. I renew on August 2. The new due date is August 30 (not August 23).
If a patron checks out a book for three weeks, then auto-renews it the full three times, they could have a
book out for 12 weeks before it is considered overdue. Is this correct?
Do replacement and recovery fees still apply?
Yes! They will go into effect in the same way they do now:
• At 6 weeks overdue for 3 week loan period items.
• At 3 weeks overdue for 1 week loan period items.